5 People Transported to Providence Sunday MorningMon, February 12, 2018 by Everett PostSHARE NOW John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe via Getty ImagesHomeNorth Sound Stories5 People Transported to Providence Sunday MorningAt approximately 6:30 am on Sunday, February 11th, Everett Fire Department responded to a call regarding an entire household possibly suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.EFD arrived to find five people enclosed in a home without power, with a generator running in the garage. All five were taken immediately to Providence Hospital for elevated levels of carbon monoxide poisoning. The City of Everett has posted no updated regarding their current condition, or who reported the family’s situation.Per the Everett Fire Department’s press release, “Carbon monoxide can be an invisible killer as it is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. Some potential sources of carbon monoxide fumes can come from vehicles, small engines, generators, stoves, lanterns, grills and BBQs, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. Often reported as “flu-like” symptoms; common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.People can help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in their home by installing carbon monoxide detectors in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. Like smoke detectors, test them each month, and change the batteries every six months.Items, such as generators, should always be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.”Annually, approximately 400 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning, and over 20,000 are hospitalized from it. Please contact your local fire department if you have any doubts or questions regarding exposure to sources.