So, we just had an election. Did you vote and are you happy with the results? You can impact policy and the direction of the Everett City Council. They are always looking for input from the community and they have many advisory boards and councils needing local volunteers. Currently there are many opportunities to join one in a variety of capacities and of varying interests.
“This is a great opportunity to get involved and have a voice in the work that is being done in our community,” said Everett Mayor Cassie Franklin. “I look forward to including a diversity of perspectives on our boards and commissions to ensure our plans and priorities best reflect those of our residents and overall benefit quality of life in our city.”
- Board of Parks Commission: advises on park planning, project development, community engagement, community stewardship and volunteerism. Members serve six-year terms.
- Citizens Advisory Board: promotes community participation and guides funding recommendations for federal, state, and municipal dollars allocated to community organizations, as well as oversees Everett’s five-year Consolidated Plan and one-year Annual Action Plan. Members serve six-year terms.
- Civil Service Commission: oversees the administration of specific charter provisions relating to city employment, such as providing the classification of many city employees. Members serve two- to six-year terms.
- Diversity Advisory Board: advises the mayor on diversity, equity and inclusion issues and activities within the city. Members serve two- to four-year terms.
- Everett Housing Authority Board: governs the Everett Housing Authority and is responsible for setting policies for the Authority and appointing the executive director.
- Historical Commission: advises the City on matters of historic preservation, including nominating properties to the Everett Register of Historic Places, reviewing state and national register nominations, and approving projects for “special valuation” tax benefits. Members serve six-year terms.
- Library Board: governs the Everett Public Library. Board members serve for five-year terms and each member serves as president during the fifth year of service.
- Lodging Tax Advisory Board: reviews proposed changes to the lodging tax rate, tax exemptions, and use of the tax for tourism promotion, the acquisition and operation of tourism-related facilities, and other uses authorized by state law. Members serve four-year terms.
- Transportation Advisory Committee: advises the city on transit services, long-range transportation planning and traffic safety planning. Members serve six-year terms.
Interested volunteers can complete an application on the City’s website at City of Everett Boards and Commissions. Paper applications can be requested by contacting Nichole Webber at [email protected] or 425-257-7119. Applications are due by 5 pm on December 6, 2021 and will be reviewed by Mayor Franklin who will make recommendations to the Everett City Council.
The time commitment might not be as big as you think. It is an excellent way to meet your fellow community members and have an actual say and be involved in your local elected government.